You are here

International Students - Living in NSW

Consulates in Australia

For information and assistance from your country’s representative in Australia, see a list of all consulates in Australia or call +61 2 6261 1111.


  • 000
    Police, Fire and Ambulance - Emergency only
  • 1800 333 000
    To report crime call Crime Stoppers
    (You do not have to give personal information)
  • 131 444
    For police assistance on non emergency matters

NSW Police Force

The role of the NSW Police Force is to reduce crime and improve community safety. If you need help from the NSW Police Force and it is not an emergency, please contact the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444. If you want to help solve or prevent crime call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 (You do not have to give your personal information).

Emergency Number

For Police, Fire and Ambulance, call 000 (life threatening situation or if a crime is taking place).

Personal Safety Tips

Download fact sheets on how to protect yourself, your property and your vehicle. Sydney Trains also provides customer safety information.

Victims of Crime

The Victims Access Line provides 24 hour information, referral and support to victims of crime on 1800 633 063.

Support and counselling is available for victims of sexual assault. If you need urgent help call the Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063.


Street Maps

If you need directions or maps, please visit Google Maps, WhereIs or Street Directory and enter a location.


To access timetables for trains, buses and ferries, visit the Trasport for NSW website.

Money Matters

Compulsory Car Insurance

Students looking for the best price for compulsory personal injury car insurance, can visit the Motor Accidents Authority or call 1300 137 600.

Open a Bank Account

For students wishing to open a bank account, a good starting point is the Australian Bankers Association.


Job Vacancies

Employment opportunities are widely publicised through newspapers and websites such as Seek or CareerOne.

Interested in volunteering?  Visit the Centre for Volunteering website.

Tax File Number

To work in Australia you need a Tax File Number. Obtain a Tax File Number online or call 132 861.

Working in NSW

NSW Industrial Relations provides a fact sheet for international students on Working in NSW.


NSW has well defined tenancy laws that support the rights of landlords and tenants.

For more information go to the renting section on the Fair Trading website. If you have a problem with your landlord call Fair Trading on 13 32 20 or 13 14 50 for language assistance.

Trying to find accommodation in NSW?

Your Rights and Consumer Protection

Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal

The Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal resolves disputes between tenants, landlords, traders and consumers. You can contact them on 1300 135 399. For the hearing impaired, please call (02) 9641 6521.

Goods and Services

A competitive environment exists in Sydney for the provision of goods and services. It is advantageous to compare prices and shop around before you buy.

NSW Fair Trading

As consumers of everyday goods and services you can find out your rights and responsibilities in such matters as renting, refund and resolution of disputes by calling 13 32 20. For language assistance call 13 14 50. You can also download the consumer guide for international students.

NSW Ombudsman

If you think that you have not received fair treatment from NSW Government agencies or their employees, you can complain to the Ombudsman. You can also call (02) 9286 1000 and ask to speak to an inquiry officer.

Fair Work Ombudsman

If you have issues with your workplace, call the Fair Work Info Line on 1300 724 200.

Anti-Discrimination Board (ADB)

If you have been discriminated against or vilified, contact the Anti-Discrimination Board. You can also call them on 1800 670 812.

Legal Matters

If you need legal support, visit Law Access or call the LawAccess hotline on 1300 888 529. You can also contact Legal Aid through their website or via a Legal NSW office. Click for information on the legal system in NSW.


There are five providers of Overseas Student Health Cover in Australia. They are:

If you want to find information on general treatment cover with any Australian private health insurer, visit or iSelect.

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman

PHIO deals with complaints from the private health sector. Call 1800 640 695 or visit the PHIO website to find out more.

Alcohol and Drug Information Service

The Alcohol and Drug Information Service provides information, referral and crisis counselling. If you are calling from metropolitan Sydney, please call (02) 9361 8000. Otherwise call 1800 422 599.


For support to stop smoking, visit the iCanQuit website or call 137 848 or call 1800 670 812, or (02) 9268 5544.

Gambling Problems

If gambling is a problem for you, call Gambling Help for assistance and support on 1800 858 858, a confidential helpline.


If you or someone you know needs emotional support or is experiencing a crisis call Lifeline’s 24 hour telephone counselling line on 131 114. Self help resources and information are available on the Lifeline website.

Phone Directory

To locate a person’s residence, or phone number, or to find a business, call 12456. You can also visit White Pages or Yellow Pages to find a business.


Visit the the Destination NSW website to get a listing of upcoming events.

Weather Forecast

The Bureau of Meterology records and publishes weather information - if you are enquiring about Sydney metropolitan area you can call them on 1196. For other areas in NSW call 1900 926 102. Find out about current weather warnings at 1300 659 218.


Community Organisations

To contact a community organisation near you, visit the Community Relations Commission website.

Community Relations Commission

Visit the Community Relations Commision website for interpreting and translating services, or call 1300 651 500.

Translating & Interpreting (tis) National

To use an interpreter over the telephone, call 131 450.

Religious Places of Worship

NSW is a multi-faith society where most religions of the world are practiced. All faiths have places of worship and they can be easily located on the internet.