Review of the implementation of the Nation Building and Jobs Plan in NSW
The Australia Government’s Nation Building and Jobs Plan was designed to stimulate local economies by sustaining building and construction jobs in local communities. An independent review on the implementation of the plan in NSW has been conducted by Dr Neil Shepherd AM and Dr Peter Abelson.
In order to ensure the timely delivery of the Plan, the NSW Government responded by immediately appointing an Infrastructure Coordinator-General and, on 13 March 2009, enacting the Nation Building and Jobs Plan (State Infrastructure Delivery) Act.
In accordance with the Act, the Premier was required to appoint an independent reviewer to report back on the operation and management of the Act. This review was announced by the Premier on 8 February 2010. The terms of reference were;
- the effectiveness of NSW Nation Building and Jobs Plan (State Infrastructure Delivery) Act 2009 in facilitating the implementation of the Nation Building Economic Stimulus Plan in NSW;
- the exercise by the Coordinator General of the functions conferred by the Act in accordance with section 30 of the Act;
- the legal and economic benefits and consequences of applying the principles of this legislation, and the manner in which it has been implemented, to other significant projects or classes of projects in NSW; and
- options and mechanisms for applying the principles should they be applied to such projects or classes of projects in NSW.
- The independent Review Panel consisted of;
- Dr Neil Shepherd AM (Chair). Former public servant with 20 years experience as a Chief Executive across regulatory, human services and government trading enterprises; and
- Dr Peter Abelson. Visting scholar lecturing in Public Finance at the department of Economics - University of Sydney and adjunct Professor Australian and New Zealand School of Government, Melbourne.
The Review Panel has now concluded its report into the implementation of the Nation Building and Jobs plan and the report is available to be downloaded here;