Create NSW is the NSW Government's art and cultural driver, providing funding, infrastructure and support to grow the arts, screen and cultural sectors in New South Wales.
What is the Cultural Infrastructure Plan 2025+?
The Plan provides the strategic framework for how the NSW Government will invest in and support cultural infrastructure across the state until 2025 and beyond.
It is the first document of its kind developed for New South Wales.
Why do we need a cultural infrastructure plan?
Cultural infrastructure is critical to the future success of New South Wales. It:
- Creates jobs, generates exports and drives innovation in the wider economy
- Attracts visitors to Sydney and NSW
- Helps define Sydney as a distinctive and appealing global city where people want to live, work and invest
- Supports urban renewal and regional economic development
- Activates communities and neighbourhoods, improving health outcomes and facilitating learning and development.
Having a Cultural Infrastructure Plan provides a whole-of-government strategy for planning cultural infrastructure, so that its significant benefits are shared equitably across NSW.
What are the plan's key priorities?
The Plan articulates strategic priorities for NSW to be a place where:
- Culture is seen as integral to communities and a key part of creating great places for people to live, work, visit, play and do business. Cultural infrastructure planning is integrated with state and local planning processes.
- Everyone can access infrastructure they need to make culture part of their everyday lives.
- There are more affordable, fit-for-purpose and sustainable spaces for the cultural sector and creative industries.
- Cultural infrastructure delivery and funding is supported by partnerships. These partnerships include NSW Government, local councils, cultural organisations, philanthropists and business.
- Greater Sydney’s cities become a leading cultural capital in the Asia-Pacific – and continue to grow the visitor economy and employment.
- A strategic and coordinated approach to cultural infrastructure planning allows creativity and access to culture to thrives across NSW.
These priorities for cultural infrastructure projects and programs will:
- inform future investment and business case development for cultural infrastructure projects and programs
- support actions, programs and projects delivered by, and in partnership with others, including local government and the private sector
- make NSW the state where all creativity has a place.
Download a copy of the Cultural Infrastructure Plan 2025+ below
Also see our Create NSW Cultural Infrastructure pages.
Image: Museum of Contemporary Art summer pop-up, Photo Anna Kucera