Eviction moratorium for residential tenants
A tenancy moratorium to restrict when landlords can evict tenants due to rental arrears is in place until 11 September 2021.
Residential landlords who decrease rent for impacted tenants can apply for a grant or land tax reductions depending on their circumstances.
Find out about the eviction moratorium and financial support for landlords.
Tenants in commercial or retail premises
Protection will be offered for impacted tenants in commercial and retail tenancies in NSW.
Landlords will not be able to lock out or evict impacted tenants without first going to mediation.
- Tenants must have an annual turnover of $50 million or less
- Tenants must be eligible for either the Micro-business COVID-19 Support Grant, the COVID-19 NSW Business Grant, or the JobSaver Scheme
Landlords leasing commercial properties
For landlords with tenants in financial distress. Landlords with commercial properties may be eligible for a land tax concession if they provide rent reductions to their tenants.
- Payment up to 100% of 2021 land tax on a parcel of land
- For landlords who provide at least that much rental relief to tenants who are eligible for the
- Micro-business COVID-19 Support Grant and/or
- 2021 COVID-19 NSW Business Grant and/or
- JobSaver scheme
- Available for rent reductions made from now until 31 December 2021
For more information visit Revenue NSW
Landlords leasing residential properties
For landlords with tenants in financial distress. Landlords with eligible properties may be eligible for a land tax concession if they provide rent reductions to their tenants.
- $1500 grant to residential landowners to pass onto their tenants, or
- Concession of up to 100% of 2021 land tax
- For landlords who provide at least that much rental relief
- Tenants must have lost 25% or more of their income
- Available for rent reductions made from 14 July 2021
For more information visit
The NSW Government offers a free Business Concierge who can help you with information on grants, licenses, permits and regulations.
Free business advisors
Get professional, personal and confidential advice from a Business Connect advisor to adapt your business.