Contact tracing and isolation rules for businesses
As NSW commences reopening, COVID-19 will continue to circulate in the community. This is why it’s important that business owners and managers know the updated advice for testing, isolation and contact tracing.
This advice may be updated by NSW Health as case numbers and evidence changes.
What if a staff member tests positive for COVID-19?
Whether they are vaccinated or unvaccinated they must self-isolate for 14 days and follow the advice from NSW Health. You are encouraged to refer to your COVID Safety Plan and risk assessment approach for further instructions on notifying other staff.
What are my obligations as a business owner if I have multiple employees test positive for COVID-19?
Businesses must inform NSW Health if 3 or more employees test positive for COVID-19 in a 7 day period. Further advice regarding actions required will be provided by NSW Health.
What if a COVID-19 positive person visits my business?
NSW Health guidelines – Contact Risk Assessment for Community and Workplace Settings – will enable businesses to assess workplace risk if a COVID-19 case is identified, and confirm actions to be taken.
The Service NSW QR Code check-in system will remain in place and will be used to notify people who were in the same venue as a positive case. Encourage your customers to follow the advice given to them by NSW Health.
How can I reduce interruptions to my business due to COVID-19?
Businesses can reduce the risk of closure or staff going into isolation by implementing rigorous COVID-19 Safety Plans that reduce the risk of transmission. Other proactive steps businesses can take include:
- Ensuring staff are vaccinated.
- Implementing regular onsite testing programs for workers or in-home testing kits (when approved by the TGA).
- Ensuring all workers and patrons check in via the Service NSW QR code.
- Maintaining COVID safe behaviours including mask wearing, physical distancing and indoor capacity limits (1 person per 4sqm).
- Improving indoor ventilation or filtration.
Contact tracing and isolation rules
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Thai (PDF, 158.44KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Vietnamese (PDF, 162.52KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Italian (PDF 117.03KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Traditional Chinese (PDF, 194.76KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Simplified Chinese (PDF, 145.38 KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Arabic (154.11 KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Punjabi (PDF 151.77 KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Korean (PDF 141.67 KB)
- Contact tracing and isolation rules - Greek (PDF 74.54 KB)