Skip to main content

Tradespeople working in residential premises

Trades working in residential properties should follow health and safety precautions and limit services to essential work only.

Feeling unwell?

If you develop a fever, a cough, sore throat or shortness of breath within 14 days of overseas travel, seek medical attention.

COVID-19 is highly contagious

Anyone can spread COVID-19 or catch it. You may feel fit and healthy, but COVID-19 affects both young people and old people.

Call for businesses to help

We're calling on NSW manufacturers to help fill gaps in the global supply of medical equipment and hygiene products.

Personal health and safety advice for trades entering residential premises

You should not work if

  • you have any cold or flu symptoms such as fever, cough, runny nose or shortness of breath, or
  • you have been advised to self-isolate at home or in a hotel because you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 or have travelled overseas. 

Before entering the premises

  • Ask if there is anyone in the house with any cold or flu symptoms or anyone who is in home-isolation. If there is, ask them to temporarily move outside or to another room away from where you will be working.
  • Wash your hands or use a hand sanitiser.

While working in the premises

  • Maintain a safe distance (at least 1.5m) from all residents.
  • Minimise contact with household items and fittings not related to your work.
  • Avoid touching your face while you’re working.
  • Wash your hands or use a hand sanitiser when you finish your work.

Trades services need to make sure hand sanitiser is available in work vehicles.

What is considered essential work

Essential work includes services that could impact on residents’ safety, including work related to

  • power supply and electrical safety, including switches, circuit breakers, earth stakes, wiring, damaged/burnt electrical connections, power points, lights, switches
  • smoke alarms
  • gas leaks, pipes or connections
  • burst water or sewer pipes inside or outside houses
  • structural failure of floors, stairs, walls, rooves, ceilings, hand rails
  • significant roof leaks
  • storm or fire damage
  • on-site sewage management systems (septic tanks, AWTS)
  • external doors, handles and locks.

In addition, essential work includes services that could impact on residents’ ability to conduct their routine activities of daily living, including work related to

  • taps or spouts
  • showers or baths
  • toilets
  • basins 
  • laundry tubs 
  • drainage
  • hot water systems
  • rainwater tanks (if primary source of drinking water)
  • ovens, stoves, cooktops
  • fridges 
  • clothes lines
  • heating systems, cooling systems, wood heaters, chimneys/fireplaces
  • broken windows or screens 
  • occupational therapy assessments.

Related information

Last updated: 11 May 2020

Top of page