Steps to become a COVID Safe business
Registering as a COVID Safe business is mandatory for hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, food and drink premises, micro-breweries, cellar doors, casinos, registered clubs, small bars and casinos. For other types of businesses, registration is optional but recommended.
Complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan
COVID-19 Safety Plans help to protect your staff, customers and visitors as you get back to business.
Some businesses will need to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan under the public health orders, but you can also voluntarily complete one. To find out if you need to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan, select your industry below.
There are different plans for different industries, and they all provide advice on:
- hygiene and safety
- physical distancing
- recording contact details of staff and customers
- staff wellbeing.
When you’re completing your plan, consult with your staff, and share it with them when it’s done. Find a COVID-19 Safety Plan for your industry
Register as a COVID Safe business
As a COVID Safe business, you’ll be able to show customers that you’re committed to keeping them safe. Customers will also be able to provide feedback in real-time.
You can register online after you have completed your COVID-19 Safety Plan.
When you’ve registered, you’ll get:
- digital COVID Safe badge for use on Google and social channels
- posters on safety and hygiene
- reports on how your customers rate your business safety
Registering your premises is mandatory for some industries and comes with some obligations. You’ll need a COVID-19 Safety Plan to register.
If you have completed your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can now register as a COVID Safe business
Show that you’re COVID Safe
- Download and display your COVID Safe posters and make your customers feel confident
- Consider using a contactless method such as a QR code to collect customer details for contact tracing
- Share your completed COVID-19 Safety Plan with your staff to ensure their wellbeing
- Display your COVID Safe badge on your digital and social channels such as Facebook and Google Maps
- Train new workers to act in a COVID Safe way
- Keep your plan up-to-date when there are changes to the rules.
Customers can visit the URL in the posters to provide feedback on how your business is providing a COVID Safe environment.
Penalties for breaching public health orders
Under the Public Health Orders it is mandatory for some types of business to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan and register as a COVID Safe business. For other types of business it is mandatory to have a COVID-19 Safety Plan, and optional to register.
See the COVID-19 Safety Plan for your industry for details.
Any business found in breach of the Public Health Orders could face a penalty of up to $55,000 and a further $27,500 penalty may apply for each day an offence continues.
On-the-spot fines can also be issued.
Liquor and Gaming NSW have the power to enforce the following penalties:
- for a first offence, a $5500 fine or relevant penalty for breach of the Public Health Order
- for a second offence, the business will be closed for one week
- for a third offence (repeated and willful non-compliance), the business will be shut down for up to one month.
COVID-19 Safety Plans by industry
Includes COVID Safety Checklist approved by the Chief Health Officer.