Updated compliance requirements for gyms
Gyms must have a COVID-19 Safe Hygiene Marshal present when there are more than 20 patrons in attendance.
Gyms must be registered as a COVID Safe business.
These requirements apply to gyms that are indoors and open to members of the public, including gyms in a hotel or workplace.
A gym does not include a dance, yoga, pilates, gymnastics or martial arts studio.
How many people are allowed
Full details are provided in the physical distancing section of the COVID-19 Safety Plan.
|Activity at a gym||Maximum capacity summary|
|Attendance||Ensure the number of people in a gym does not exceed one person per 4 square metres of space (excluding staff).|
|Classes||A maximum of 20 participants, plus the instructor and any assistants, may attend a gym or recreation class in a space that complies with one participant per 4 square metres.|
COVID-19 Safety Plans and registration are mandatory
Under Public Health Orders, all indoor gyms in NSW must complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan.
All indoor gyms must also register as COVID Safe.
Complete the plan in consultation with your staff, then share it with them. Putting your plan into action will help slow the spread of COVID-19 and reassure your customers that they can safely visit your business.
Keep your plan up to date
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
You will need to have an up to date plan at your premises at all times and be able to show it to an authorised officer if requested.
COVID-19 guidance for gyms
NSW Health has produced guidance to support gym owners, operators, and COVID-19 Safe Hygiene Marshals.
Your COVID-19 Safety Plan
You can either:
- use the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan to address the checklist of matters for indoor gyms
- keep using your existing plan, if you have one, after making sure it includes all the items in the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Things to note:
- If you complete the plan online it will take 30 to 45 minutes and must be completed in one session.
- You may need to review current NSW Health guidance on the following areas before completing your plan:
- To calculate the maximum number of people you can have on your premises, you will need to know the floor area in square metres.
- If your business has multiple premises, you will need to:
- complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan for each premises
- register each premises separately.
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register as COVID Safe.
NSW Health COVID-19 guidance for gyms
NSW Health has produced guidance to support gym owners, operators, and COVID-19 Safe Hygiene Marshals in gyms to understand and address the key COVID-19 risks in gym settings.
Last updated: 23 October 2020