How many people are allowed
Full details are provided in the physical distancing section of the COVID-19 Safety Plan.
|Activity at a swimming pool||Maximum capacity summary|
Ensure the number of people in a facility does not exceed one person per 2 square metres of publicly acccessible space (excluding staff).
Note: ‘Greater Sydney’ means Greater Sydney as defined by the Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order (No 7) 2020.
Ocean pools and baths
NSW Health categorises ocean pools as a ‘natural swimming pool’ rather than a ‘public swimming pool’ under the Public Health Regulation 2012.
As such, the Public Health Order requirements do not apply to ocean pools. However, NSW Health would expect that users respect physical distancing and the 2 square metre rule.
Mandatory electronic check-in
Patron check-in at public swimming pools must be completed using electronic methods such as a QR code.
The Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in is strongly recommended as a free, secure and convenient system, but any electronic method that meets the recordkeeping requirements can be used.
COVID-19 Safety Plans are mandatory
Under Public Health Orders all swimming pools, saunas and spas must complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Businesses should also consider the benefits of registering as COVID Safe.
Complete the plan in consultation with staff, then share it with them.
Keep your plan up to date
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
You will need to have an up to date plan at your premises at all times and be able to show it to an authorised officer if requested.
Your COVID-19 Safety Plan
You can either:
- use the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan to address the checklist of matters for your commercial swimming pool, spa pool, sauna or steam room
- keep using your existing plan, if you have one, after making sure it includes all the items in the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Things to note:
- If you complete the plan online it will take 30 to 45 minutes and must be completed in one session.
- You may need to review current NSW Health guidance on the following areas before completing your plan:
- Also ensure COVID-19 Safety Plans are in place, where relevant, for:
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register as COVID Safe.