On this page
Under Public Health Orders, you must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan for how your business will keep your customers and workers safe.
You can either:
- use the COVID-19 Safety Plan: beauty, nail, waxing, tanning, hairdressing salons and massage or tattoo parlours (PDF, 195.93 KB) .
- develop your own plan to address the checklist of matters required on this page.
Updating your plan
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
The plan available on this page will always be the most recent.
If you have registered as a COVID Safe business online and you update your safety plan, you do not need to register again.
Checklist of matters to be addressed in your COVID-19 Safety Plan
Exclude staff and customers who are unwell from the salon.
Make staff aware of their leave entitlements if they are sick or required to self-isolate.
Display conditions of entry (website, social media, salon entry).
- Ensure COVID-19 Safety Plans are in place, where relevant, for:
- Capacity must not exceed one customer per 4 square metres of space.
- Reduce crowding wherever possible and promote physical distancing with markers on the floor in areas where people are asked to queue, such as at the counter.
- Where possible, ensure staff maintain 1.5 metres physical distancing at all times (including at meal breaks and in office or meeting rooms) and assign workers to specific workstations.
- Ensure seating in waiting and treatment areas complies with physical distancing of 1.5 metres, where possible.
- Use telephone or video for essential meetings where practical.
- Where reasonably practical, stagger start times and breaks for staff members.
- Consider physical barriers such as plexiglass around counters with high volume interactions with customers.
- Review regular deliveries and request contactless delivery/invoicing where practical.
- Have strategies in place to manage gatherings that may occur immediately outside the premises.
Adopt good hand hygiene practices.
Ensure bathrooms are well stocked with hand soap and paper towels or hand dryers.
Any surfaces customers touch should be cleaned with a detergent or disinfectant solution or wipe between each customer. Towels and linen should be laundered between customers.
Clean areas frequented by staff or customers at least daily with detergent/disinfectant. Clean frequently touched areas and surfaces several times per day with a detergent or disinfectant solution or wipe.
Maintain disinfectant solutions at an appropriate strength and use in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions.
Remove product testers or samples from public access.
Remove books, magazines, pamphlets and iPads.
Staff are to wear gloves when cleaning and wash hands thoroughly before and after with soap and water.
Encourage contactless payment options.
Keep a record of the name and a mobile number or email address for all staff, customers and contractors for a period of at least 28 days. Ensure records are used only for the purposes of tracing COVID-19 infections and are stored confidentially and securely.
Make your staff aware of the COVIDSafe app and its benefits to support contact tracing if required.
Cooperate with NSW Health if contacted in relation to a positive case of COVID-19 at your workplace, and notify SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50.
Become a COVID Safe business
Download your COVID-19 Safety plan
Download, print and complete the COVID-19 Safety Plan: beauty, nail, waxing, tanning, hairdressing salons and massage or tattoo parlours (PDF, 195.93 KB) for your salon.
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed and downloaded your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register your business as COVID Safe.
Last updated: 30 June 2020