Under Public Health Orders, you must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan for how your business will keep your customers and workers safe.
You can either:
- use the COVID-19 Safety Plan: museums and galleries (PDF, 199.93 KB).
- develop your own plan to address the checklist of matters required on this page.
Updating your plan
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
The plan available on this page will always be the most recent.
If you have registered as a COVID Safe business online and you update your safety plan, you do not need to register again.
Checklist of matters to be addressed in your COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Exclude staff, volunteers and visitors who are unwell.
- Provide staff and volunteers with information and training on COVID-19, including when to get tested, physical distancing and cleaning.
- Make staff aware of their leave entitlements if they are sick or required to self-isolate.
- Display conditions of entry (website, social media, venue entry).
- Ensure COVID-19 Safety Plans are in place, where relevant, for:
- Capacity must not exceed one visitor per 4 square metres of space (excluding staff).
- Consider a time-based booking system for popular events or exhibits.
- Use signage at entrances to communicate the maximum safe capacity, and consider displaying signage with arrows to direct the flow of visitors where crowding may occur.
- Move or remove tables and seating as required to comply with 1.5 metres of physical distance wherever possible. Household or other close contacts do not need to physically distance.
- Tours should involve no more than 20 visitors per group. Ensure any feature pieces in exhibits that may attract crowding have arrangements in place to support physical distancing.
- Reduce crowding wherever possible and promote physical distancing, for example with markers on the floor, where appropriate.
- Where reasonably practical, ensure staff maintain 1.5 metres physical distancing at all times including at meal breaks and in office or meeting rooms.
- Use telephone or video for essential meetings where practical.
- Where reasonably practical, stagger start times and breaks for staff members to minimise the risk of close contact.
- Review regular deliveries and request contactless delivery and invoicing where practical.
- Have strategies in place to manage gatherings that may occur immediately outside the premises.
- Coordinate with public transport, where reasonably practical, around strategies to minimise COVID-19 risks associated with transportation to and from the venue if crowding on public transport may occur.
- Adopt good hand hygiene practices.
- Ensure bathrooms are well stocked with hand soap and paper towels or hand dryers.
- Clean frequently used indoor hard surface areas at least daily with detergent or disinfectant. Clean frequently touched areas and surfaces several times per day.
- Disinfectant solutions need to be maintained at an appropriate strength and used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Staff are to wear gloves when cleaning and wash hands thoroughly before and after with soap and water.
- Encourage contactless payment options.
- If interactive exhibitions are open, ensure supervision to ensure visitors apply hand sanitiser before and after use, and to clean the interactive components between use.
- Consider removing printed museum and gallery guides, and replacing with downloadable guides or audio guides where practical.
- Keep a record of name and a mobile number or email address for all staff, volunteers, visitors to ticketed exhibits and contractors for a period of at least 28 days. For groups, one contact is sufficient to support contact tracing. Ensure records are used only for the purposes of tracing COVID-19 infections and are stored confidentially and securely.
- Make your staff aware of the COVIDSafe app and its benefits to support contact tracing if required.
Cooperate with NSW Health if contacted in relation to a positive case of COVID-19 at your workplace, and notify SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50.
Become a COVID Safe business
Download your COVID-19 Safety plan
Download, print and complete the COVID-19 Safety Plan: museums and galleries (PDF, 199.93 KB).
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed and downloaded your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register your business as COVID Safe.
Last updated: 30 June 2020