Having a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place will help to protect your staff and customers.
You can either:
- use the COVID-19 Safety Plan: transport freight and logistics operations (PDF, 198.57 KB)
- develop your own plan to address the checklist of recommended actions on this page.
Updating your plan
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
The plan available on this page will always be the most recent.
If you have registered as a COVID Safe business online and you update your safety plan, you do not need to register again.
Suggested checklist for your COVID-19 Safety Plan
Exclude staff who are unwell from conducting transport freight and logistic operations. Employers and contractors should implement a process for conducting a daily symptom screen for all staff, including those working remotely such as drivers.
Any staff who have been in Victoria in the previous 14 days are encouraged to have a COVID-19 test every 7 days even if asymptomatic. They are not required to isolate whilst awaiting test results.
- Freight operators are not permitted to carry passengers, other than alternate drivers, returning crew and/or staff.
- Reduce contact with other people wherever possible while working. Implement contactless pick-up and delivery wherever possible.
- Take steps to ensure drivers maintain physical distancing from other workers at pick-up or delivery sites where practical, including at meal breaks, and that they do not share cigarettes, lighters or vapes.
- Instruct drivers that they should only leave their vehicle while in NSW or Victoria for fuel or other essential goods (including food), in an emergency, at the direction of a law enforcement officer, or for a fatigue break (including overnight rest stop and for meals where required). Avoid large venues including pubs and clubs.
Adopt good hand hygiene practices. Ensure drivers and crew have hand sanitiser available.
Employ extra cleaning practices at the end of each shift, as part of good hygiene practice, including using a detergent/disinfectant solution to clean down any hard surfaces including seats, door handles and window controls, seatbelts and buckles.
Maintain disinfectant solutions at an appropriate strength and use in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Keep a record or log of all stops, including work or rest stops, and close contacts (name and mobile number or email) for at least 28 days. Ensure these records have a date and time.
- Employers should make staff aware of the COVIDSafe app and the benefits of the app to support contact tracing if required.
- Cooperate with NSW Health if contacted in relation to a positive case of COVID-19 at your workplace, and notify SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50.
It's free to become a COVID Safe business
Download your COVID-19 Safety plan
Download, print and complete aCOVID-19 Safety Plan: transport freight and logistics operations (PDF, 198.57 KB)
for your business.
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed and downloaded your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register your business as COVID Safe.
Last updated: 24 July 2020