On this page
Quarantine and self-isolation information for flight crew
The following advice applies to international flight crew (including position crew) arriving in NSW:
- flight crew who live in NSW and have been outside of Australia and New Zealand (or in a NZ hotspot) in the last 14 days, refer to the NSW Health Air Transportation Guidelines: Testing and self-isolation guidance for declared flight crew who live in NSW
- flight crew who live overseas or interstate and have been outside of Australia and New Zealand (or in a NZ hotspot) in the last 14 days, refer to NSW quarantine information for non resident flight crew
- flight crew who plan to travel onwards to another Australian state or territory must comply with the NSW guidelines for the onward domestic travel of international aircrew.
- flight crew who have not been outside of Australia and New Zealand (or in a NZ hotspot) and flown only New Zealand green zone flights in the last 14 days do not need to self-isolate or quarantine. Refer to the Travellers from New Zealand factsheet for further information.
Declaration forms must be completed at the airport by specific groups of international flight crew. Flight crew will be advised at the airport on which declaration form, if any, they are required to complete.
COVID-19 testing of flight crew
Under the public health orders, flight crew who have been in a country other than in Australia or New Zealand in the last 14 days are required to have a COVID-19 test each time they arrive at the airport.
An exemption is in place for quick turnaround flights. Certain flights where the flight crew do not leave the plane may be exempt from the requirement to be tested on arrival, subject to certain conditions which are specified in the exemption.
- no flight crew members, other than the pilot, may disembark the aircraft
- no person may board the aircraft, other than passengers and essential aircraft servicing staff who must follow certain infection control precautions including wearing a mask and personal protective equipment.
It is not necessary to apply for this exemption. This is a class exemption that applies to any flight that meets the criteria specified in the exemption.