On this page
Using public transport and when to wear a face mask
When using public transport
- wearing a face mask is strongly recommended when you are unable to physically distance
- plan ahead and travel during the less busy times if you can, between 10am and 3pm
- check the capacity of services before you travel with the Trip Planner, transport apps or social media to see which services have enough space for you to maintain physical distancing
- where available, sit or stand in the places marked with a green dot
- observe capacity limits and wait for the next service if the bus, ferry or train has reached capacity
- practise good personal hygiene.
Wearing a face mask continues to be mandatory in airports and on flights. Learn more about face mask rules.
Visit Transport for NSW for more travel advice.
Taxis and rideshare services
When you are a passenger in a taxi or rideshare service
- sit in the back seat
- use contactless payment
- avoid travelling if you are unwell.
As the operator of a taxi or rideshare service
- follow the advice from Transport for NSW
- complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan for Taxis, hire cars and rideshare services
- read the updates and guides from the Point-to-Point Commissioner.
A party bus is a vehicle being used on a commercial basis for the purposes of a party, whether or not the party takes place during transportation between locations.
Commercial party bus operators must
- develop and comply with a COVID-19 Safety Plan
- ensure the square metres rules apply for each person on the party bus.
Party buses should also follow the guidance for community and private bus services.
Buses and coaches, other than party buses, are exempt gatherings under the public health order. This means they are not required to have and comply with a COVID-19 Safety Plan. However under work health and safety (WHS) law, all employers or businesses are required to manage the risk of COVID-19 to workers and others in the work environment.
You can check in to COVID Safe businesses who are using their NSW Government QR Code, via the Service NSW app.
Opal Travel is the official app for managing your travel across the Opal network in Sydney and greater New South Wales. Use the app to add value to your Opal card remotely, enable auto top-ups, view your travel history and access other useful public transport information.
Live Traffic NSW
Incidents and conditions on NSW roads 24/7 from the Transport Management Centre.