About the Inquiry
In 2008 Hon James Wood AO QC was Commissioner of the Inquiry into Child Protection Services in NSW. The Inquiry was created to ensure that the Department of Child Services would meet the needs of children and young people into the future.
The Commissioner made recommendations to:
- the system for reporting of child abuse and neglect
- management of reports
- management of cases requiring ongoing work, (including referrals for services and monitoring and supervision of families)
- recording information and using data to efficiently target resources
- staff capacity
- if current system structures need to be improved, including:
- statutory framework for child protection
- reporting roles and responsibilities
- arrangements for children in out of home care
- resources in the child protection system.