Disaster relief and support for not-for-profit organisations and churches
NSW Government provides financial relief and support services for eligible not-for-profit organisations and churches following a natural disaster.
Some types of support require a disaster declaration for the affected location. Disaster declarations are determined and updated on a rolling basis.
Disaster Relief loan
Loans may be provided to not-for-profit organisations for the restoration of essential facilities, equipment or other assets damaged or destroyed as a direct result of a declared disaster. These funds may also be directed towards temporary storage or leasing of alternate premises.
A maximum of $25,000 may be provided to an eligible not-for-profit organisation.
Who is eligible?
Eligible not-for-profit organisations (NPO) must:
- provide evidence of registration or incorporation as an NPO
- have suffered damage to facilities or equipment or other assets arising directly from a declared disaster event
- satisfy the Administering Agency that it has the financial capacity to repay the loan
- not have the financial capacity to pay the costs from its own funds or reserves
- not perform a sizeable commercial function or represent a commercial or industrial
- not provide any financial gain for its members.
Organisations receiving other grants or loans for the same declared disaster may not be eligible for this assistance measure.
Find out more
Visit Rural Assistance Authority for more information.
Motor vehicle stamp duty relief
Stamp duty relief may be provided on the replacement of motor vehicles written off due to loss caused by a declared disaster.
Who is eligible?
- vehicle owners (private and commercial)
- the vehicle must be comprehensively insured and written off due to damage caused by a declared disaster that occurs in NSW.
Find out more
Find out more by visiting the Revenue NSW website.
To apply for a refund, download and complete the Request for refund of duty on registration of replacement motor vehicle form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have been affected by recent storms or floods, Legal Aid NSW can help you with disaster related legal needs.
Find out more by visiting the Legal Aid website or call the Disaster hotline 1800 801 509.
If you have been affected by recent storms or floods, the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) can help you with disaster related insurance information.
Call the ICA’s disaster hotline 1800 734 621 or visit the website or more information.
Disaster risk reduction
NSW Government provides several grants every year to support the state and community to develop resilience towards natural disasters. In the coming weeks, we will share more information on Natural Disaster risk reduction grants.
Until then, we encourage regional and community groups who have identified to help build resilience in the community, to contact the NSW Reconstruction Authority grants team at email@example.com for more information.
Related services and support
The following may be available to your organisation: