Hexham Bridge openings
Opening times, booking details and rules for vessels travelling under or passing through Hexham Bridge on the Hunter River in NSW.
Book a bridge opening
You can book an opening of Hexham Bridge at most times of the year.
To book an opening for your vessel call 1300 661 293.
Book in advance:
- at least 2 hours ahead for bridge openings on weekdays between 7am - 6pm
- at least 6 hours ahead for bridge openings on weekends, public holidays or between 7pm - 6am weekdays.
You need to provide your mobile number when you book - or be aware of the bridge's contact radio channels.
Times to avoid
Try to avoid peak road traffic times:
- Weekdays 7am - 9.30am and 3pm - 6pm
- Sundays 3pm - 5pm
You can't book a bridge opening on these dates in 2022:
- Sunday 2 January 2022
- Monday 3 January 2022
- Saturday 8 January 2022
- Saturday 15 January 2022
- Sunday 16 January 2022
- Sunday 23 January 2022
- Friday 8 April 2022
- Saturday 9 April 2022
- Sunday 10 April 2022
- Friday 15 April 2022
- Saturday 16 April 2022
- Sunday 17 April 2022
- Monday 18 April 2022
- Sunday 2 October 2022
- Monday 3 October 2022
- Friday 23 December 2022
- Monday 26 December 2022
Any bridge lifts on these dates will only be considered if they occur outside of vehicular peak travel times, with requests to be in writing 4 weeks prior to the event. Call 1300 661 293 for details to summit request. Note that all requests will need to be confirmed by Transport for NSW prior to the bridge lift occurring.
- Citizen band - channel 29
- VHF marine band - channel 74
- 27MHZ marine band - channel 88.
Vessel operators are to:
- observe navigation rules when approaching the bridge
- wait for a green light before proceeding. Transport for NSW will be notified of any serious breaches
- give right of passage to vessels travelling with the direction of tidal flow. Exceptions apply. Follow the bridge operator's announcements over the Public Address System (PA) at all times.
Early and late arrivals
There is no permanent bridge operator on site at Hexham Bridge.
- If you arrive early for a bridge lift you must wait until the confirmed opening time.
- There are no courtesy moorings at Hexham Bridge.
- If you expect to be late for your booking, please notify the bridge operator within 30 minutes of the booked time. Otherwise you may need to re-book the opening by notifying the bridge operator 2-6 hours in advance, as indicated above.