Backhoe loader

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for backhoe loaders.

On this page

What is a backhoe loader?

A backhoe loader, known colloquially as a digger, is used to move earth and hard fill and prepare sites for construction/work.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a backhoe loader.

Conditional registration for backhoe loaders

Backhoe loader

Backhoe loaders need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.  

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a backhoe loader.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only (omitted if vehicle is fitted with 24 hour equipment requirements) TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving SL1
Use only the shortest suitable route between depots and worksites OR GO5
Restricted to designates areas / routes OR LO3 + free text
Farming purposes only (if CTP class is FARM) GO93
Must travel in most compact safe forms and provide maximum visibility for driver Free text
If hydraulic steering fitted, steering failure warning device / sign required SL99

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use 24 hour use
Amber rotating beacon Yes Yes
Brake and turn lights Yes Yes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights No Yes
Rear reflectors or rear reflective tape Yes Yes
Side reflectors or side reflective tape No Yes
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes Yes
Horn Yes Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape AGP / EWP / LLP / RWP
Compulsory Third Party insurance class Conditional registration: PLNT / SVEH / FARM
For FARM/UFRM, a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 304.91KB) is required. Unregistered vehicle permit - USVE / UPLN / UFRM
Registration usage RDWK (RDWN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM) PAST / PLNT / PPG (PPGN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
Top of page