Historic vehicles registration
The following factors are considered when deciding an application for historic registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The safety of:
- the vehicle operator
- the vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- the vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- the vehicle mixing with pedestrians.
Find out how to apply for registration for your historic vehicle.
To drive a historic vehicle you'll need a vehicle licence appropriate to the vehicle type.
Oversize vehicle operators
Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:
- for NSW permits contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
- for interstate permits contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.
The vehicle must comply with the relevant NSW vehicle standards:
- Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles, or
- Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
Applications must be accompanied by aHistoric Vehicle Declaration (PDF 292.28KB)
For more information, seeHistoric vehicle clubs list (PDF 791.86KB)
Conditions of use
|Use only in conjunction with authorised club event or maintenance|
|The name of the Transport for NSW recognised historic vehicle club||GO94 + free text|
|Historic and Classic vehicle log book – may be used for 60 days per year subject to log book conditions||Free text|
|Registered operator must be a member of an authorised motoring club||OL3|
|Left-hand drive – left-hand drive sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with GVM greater than 4.5 tonnes with left-hand drive steering fitted
|Dual controls – dual control vehicle sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicle with dual controls fitted
Transport for NSW office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Conditional registration - SVEH or TRLR
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - USVE or TLRL
|Registration usage||PRIV / PNSR|