House moving equipment : Conditional registration and uses

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for house moving equipment.

On this page

Conditional registration for house moving equipment


House moving equipment

House moving equipment needs to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for house moving equipment.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive house moving equipment.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits - contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits - contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

House moving equipment must meet the following vehicle condition to apply for conditional registration:

  • Only equipment made up of components including bolsters, goosenecks, beams and dollies may be conditionally registered. Prime movers and low loaders used to move buildings may not be registered under the conditional registration scheme.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Only to be used in according with route specific permits OS2
Must comply with requirements of Transport for NSWs publication VSI11 Requirements for the Movement of Buildings Free text

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape DLT
Compulsory Third Party insurance class Conditional registration - TRLR
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - TRLR
Registration usage Not applicable
Top of page