Mini loader: Registration, uses and equipment

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for mini loaders.

On this page

What is a mini loader?

A mini loader is used to transport dirt, rocks and other hard fill in narrow or tightly confined spaces where a full sized loader wouldn't fit, or on small construction projects. Examples of mini loaders include the Dingo, Kanga and Toro.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a mini loader.

Conditional registration for mini loaders

Mini loader (Dingo, Kanga, Toro)

Mini loaders need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a mini loader.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving SL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO3, LO5 or GO93) LO99
Restricted to designated areas / routes LO3 + free text
OR Use only within a defined construction zone (for shape code RWP only) LO5
OR Use only for farming purposes GO93
Restricted to a maximum speed of 8km/h SP08
Steering failure warning device, warning label and Maximum Speed Advisory sign required
Note: Applies only to vehicles with hydraulic steering fitted

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beacon Yes
Brake and turn lights No
Headlights, tail and number plate lights No
Clearance lights or delineators No
Rear reflectors or reflective tape No
Rear vision mirror(s) No
Horn Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Condition Code
Vehicle shape AGP or EQP or LLP or RWP

Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Note: If FARM or UFRM a

Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 120.94KB) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF 373.69KB)

Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM

Registration usage Not applicable
Top of page