Credit Levels for TradeStart@TAFENSW - a Vocational Training Guideline
Issued: 11 August 2005
The level of credit to be granted towards the nominal term of an apprenticeship for a student who has successfully completed a relevant TradeStart@TAFENSW course - A Vocational Training Guideline.
Pursuant to Section 4 of the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001, the following Guideline is issued in relation to the level of credit to be granted towards the nominal term of an apprenticeship, in the recognised trade vocations on the attached schedule, for a student who has successfully completed a relevant TradeStart@TAFENSW course.
This Guideline shall apply to the functions relating to the making of vocational training directions concerning the recognised trade vocations on the attached schedule and shall be exercised by the Vocational Training Tribunal or the Commissioner for Vocational Training or the Commissioner’s delegate(s).
- An applicant apprentice who has successfully completed a TradeStart@TAFENSW course and who is a party to an apprenticeship training contract in a relevant recognised trade vocation will be accorded credit towards the nominal term of that apprenticeship at the level outlined on the attached schedule
- This credit is subject to the following requirements:
- The applicant apprentice shall be able to demonstrate successful completion of the TradeStart@TAFENSW course by providing appropriate documentary evidence of such completion
- An application to establish an apprenticeship in the relevant trade is submitted on the approved format of a training contract to the Department of Education and Training within 12 months of completion of the TradeStart@TAFENSW course
- Where an application is lodged more than 12 months after completion of the TradeStart@TAFENSW course the level of credit is to be determined by negotiation between the proponent parties to the apprenticeship up to a maximum of the level of credit listed on the attached schedule
- The applicant apprentice shall enrol in the qualification relevant to the TradeStart@TAFENSW course undertaken, and provided for in the relevant vocational training order for that recognised trade vocation
- Should other relevant industry training or experience be demonstrated by the applicant apprentice, further credit may be determined by the proponent parties in addition to the credit agreed for the successful completion of the TradeStart@TAFENSW course.
Apprentices who are able to demonstrate that they have met all the training requirements to achieve competency in the trade may, on application to the Department of Education and Training by themselves and their employers, have their apprenticeship training contract varied as required, by reducing the term of their apprenticeship to achieve early completion.
Director-General of Education and Training
Managing Director of TAFE NSW