Early access to superannuation
Learn more about the eligibility requirements for accessing your superannuation early if you lose your job.
Beware of scams
There have been reported instances of people being contacted by unknown persons pretending to be from the Australian Tax Office or Services Australia and offering to help you release your super early.
Do not provide any personal or financial information at all. And do not click or tap on any links if a similar offer is emailed to you.
You may be able to access your superannuation early if you're experiencing financial hardship after losing your job. There are additional circumstances that may also be considered, including:
- incapacity - if you're unable to work or need to work fewer hours because of a medical condition
- compassionate grounds - to pay for unpaid expenses. These could include medical treatment, modifying your home or vehicle because of a severe disability, funeral expenses, or a loan repayment to prevent you losing your home
- terminal medical condition - if you have a terminal illness or injury.
How you apply and who you should contact depends on the reasons you need to access it. In the first instance, contact a financial adviser to find out where you stand. They can help with:
- understanding your options
- how to apply
- other expenses you're struggling to manage, such as housing and bills.
Learn more about early release of superannuation at Services Australia.