Starting a small business
Find out where to get help if you're thinking of starting your own business after your job has ended.
Guidance and financial support
There is a range of government financial assistance packages and mentoring services to help you start your own small business:
- NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment outlines what you need to start a business
- Service NSW is making it easier for you to do business with a free, dedicated Business Concierge
- Jobs for NSW provides grants and loans for startups and emerging businesses
- business.gov.au lists government funding and support programs from across government to help businesses grow.
New Business Assistance
If you are unemployed, not studying or training, and interested in running your own business, the Australian Government offers New Business Assistance with NEIS.
NEIS is the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme. It provides eligible people with:
- accredited small business training
- mentoring and support programs
- financial support options including an allowance and rental assistance.
Learn more about New Business Assistance with NEIS at the Department of Education.