Miscarriage, stillbirth and loss of a newborn

The death of a baby during pregnancy or soon after birth is a difficult time for parents and for the people close to them. We acknowledge the emotional hardship you face during this time.

On this page


You need to register your child if the loss was after 20 weeks of pregnancy or weighing more than 400 grams at birth. Our records will show the baby as stillborn. You do not need to register the death of your baby.

You can register the baby online and you can also purchase a birth certificate and/or choose from one of our decorative certificate designs.

Find out what you need to do to register your baby.

Loss of a newborn

If your baby died soon after being born, you will need to register the birth of your child. A funeral director can register the death of your child for you and, if you need, can apply for a death certificate on your behalf.

Find out what you need to do to register your baby.

Early pregnancy loss

If you've had a miscarriage before reaching 20 weeks of pregnancy, you do not need to register your baby.

You can apply for an early loss certificate for you to keep if your:

  • loss took place in NSW
  • miscarriage was at less than 20 weeks or, if the number of weeks is unknown, your baby weighed less than 400g and
  • doctor or midwife signs the application form, in the health professional's declaration section.

To apply for an early pregnancy loss certificate, download and complete the Recognition of early pregnancy loss application (PDF 303.46KB)

Then post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

  • The certificate for an early pregnancy loss is free and you can apply anytime. There’s no time limit.
  • If a baby's name is not supplied, the certificate will show 'baby of'. Other information shown is the parent/s names and the date and place of birth.
  • The early pregnancy loss certificate is not a legal document.
  • To complete the application, you will need your treating medical practitioner or midwife to sign the health professional's declaration.

Related information


Pregnant employee entitlements

Find out your employer's responsibilities for special maternity leave.
Claims and rebates

Stillborn baby payment

Information on the government payment you may be able to claim
Top of page