Post birth recovery
Physical recovery after birth can take months. Find information and resources to help with the physical and emotional recovery after having a baby.
Physical recovery after birth takes time. It can take even longer to recover if you’ve had a caesarean.
It’s important to:
- get lots of rest
- avoid heavy lifting
- have a 6-week check-up
- strengthen your pelvic floor
- talk to your doctor before restarting an exercise program.
As well as the physical, there can be other changes after you’ve had a baby. This can include:
- changes to you and your partner’s relationship
- changes to your body image
- changes to your lifestyle
- loss of identity.
Raising Children has information on looking after your physical and emotional wellbeing after childbirth.