Family assistance payments
A family assistance payment after having a baby can help with the cost of raising a child. Learn about the types of financial support available.
There are different types of family assistance payments available to help parents and non parent carers with the cost of raising a baby.
Your eligibility for each will depend on your situation. Types of payments include:
- Newborn Upfront Payment – a lump sum payment per child
- Newborn Supplement – up to 13 weeks per child
- Parental Leave Pay – up to 18 weeks while you take time off work to care for your newborn baby
- Dad and Partner Pay – up to 2 weeks to care for a newborn baby
- Family Tax Benefit – a 2-part payment that helps with the cost of raising children
- Parenting Payment – an ongoing payment for the main carers of young children.
You can use the payment and service finder at Services Australia to check if you're eligible for any of these payments.
You may also be eligible for other types of financial support if your baby has a disability.