Targeted support to meet the recovery needs of bushfire impacted communities and industries across NSW.
Approximately $4.4 billion has been committed to the bushfire response, recovery and preparedness efforts in NSW, including $3 billion from the NSW Government.
As part of this, the Department of Regional NSW rolled out targeted initiatives and investments to support recovery, generate jobs, and build more resilient communities and industries in the regions most impacted by the devastating 2019/20 bushfires.
The three key programs delivered in partnership with NSW Reconstruction Authority are:
- The Bushfire Local Economic Recovery (BLER) Package – more than $500 million co-funded with the Australian government.
The BLER Fund is supporting 195 local community projects that promote economic or social recovery, strengthen resilience and deliver ongoing community benefit.
- Bushfire Industry Recovery Package (BIRP) - Supply Chain Support Grants – $65.8 million and Sector Development Grants – $72.3 million co-funded with the Australian government under the BLER Fund.
The Bushfire Industry Recovery Package (BIRP) was established to provide immediate financial assistance and support to targeted primary industries that were significantly impacted by the 2019/20 bushfires.
- Bushfire Community Resilience and Recovery Fund – Phase 1 and Phase 2 – more than $7.5 million co-funded with the Australian government, the Bushfire Community Resilience and Recovery Fund targeted Local Government Areas that were disaster-declared during the 2019-20 bushfires with funding for medium and long-term projects to support community recovery and help build resilience and hope for the future.
The Department of Regional NSW and Public Works also coordinated the Bushfire Clean-up Program; clearing over 3,600 properties.
More than 600 grants funded
The interactive map below shows the diverse community, infrastructure and industry projects already being supported by the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery (BLER) Fund, Bushfire Industry Recovery Package and Bushfire Community Resilience and Recovery Fund.
Bushfire Local Economic Fund
Applications open: Tuesday 27 October 2020
Applications closed: 2pm Thursday 28 January 2021
Bushfire Industry Recovery Package
Applications open: Tuesday 19 May 2020
Applications closed: 5pm Friday 17 July 2020
Bushfire Community Resilience and Recovery Fund
Phase 1 – Applications closed: 30 April 2020
Phase 2 -
- Stream 1 - Applications closed: Tuesday 27 October 2020
- Stream 2 - Applications closed: Friday 11 December 2020
The following resources and tools are available to support applicants with their submissions. Detailed information about eligibility, funding categories and how to apply can be found in the grant guidelines for each stream.
- Bushfire Recovery Programs: summary report (PDF 1.07MB)
- Bushfire Community Recovery and Resilience Fund (BCRRF) Phase 1: process and interim outcome evaluation report (PDF 3.93MB)
- Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund (BLER) Stage 1: process and interim outcome evaluation report (PDF 3.69MB)
- Bushfire Industry Recovery Package (BIRP) Stream 1: process and interim outcome evaluation report (PDF 3.96MB)
- BLER (Stage 2) and BIRP (Stream 2): process and interim outcomes evaluation report (PDF 9.61MB)
Credit for banner image: Robert Walwyn took this photo at Bells Line of Road, Bilpin, after the bushfires. He sold the print for $500 and then donated the money to the Blue Mountains Bushfire Mayoral Relief Fund.