Image copyrightDams Safety NSW
What’s this about?
Proposed changes to the regulation
Dams Safety NSW is proposing changes to the Dams Safety Regulation 2019. The changes would allow Dams Safety NSW to more efficiently administer the Dams Safety Act 2015, and would strengthen dam safety management aspects of the regulation.
The proposed changes are summarised below, however the changes are described in more detail in the attached documents. Details of the proposed changes can also be viewed on our website - www.damsafety.nsw.gov.au. Follow the ‘Reforms’ link.
Summary of proposed changes
From 1 November 2021:
declared dam owners will be required to provide the details of a contact person to Dams Safety NSW
- declared dam owners will be required to nominate an individual for ensuring compliance with their dam’s safety management system
- a competent person will be required to carry out risk rating calculations and an independent competent person will be required to check the calculations for high and extreme consequence dams and
- for high or extreme consequence category dams, a panel of competent persons will be required to:
- undertake safety reviews
- undertake a review of safety reviews
- check work involving dam designs.
Virtual meetings to explain changes
Dams Safety NSW will be holding virtual meetings to explain the proposed changes on:
- Wednesday 18 August 11am – 12:30pm
- Wednesday 25 August 2:00pm – 3:30pm
If you would like to attend one of these virtual meetings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred date and time and an invitation to attend that session will be emailed to you.
Have your say
There are two ways you can provide feedback below.
Have your say by Friday 10 September 2021.
Address: Dams Safety NSW, Locked Bag 5022, Parramatta NSW 2124