What’s this about?
The NSW Government is introducing a licensing scheme for medical gas systems in medical, health and veterinary facilities.
Changes have been made to two laws through the Gas Legislation Amendment (Medical Gas Systems) Act 2020.
The reforms will impact a range of medical facilities and industry operators. Medical facilities include private and public hospitals, day hospitals, IVF clinics, aged care facilities, dentists and medical centres.
Some key proposal changes include:
- prescribing substances used for medical purposes as medical gases
- referencing relevant Australian and international standards to ensure that medical gas work is compliant with these standards
- conducting safety and compliance tests on medical gas work and reporting requirements
- obligations to report defective work
- reporting of a serious medical gas accident.
NSW Fair Trading is seeking feedback from interested stakeholders and the community.
Have your say
There are three ways you can provide feedback below.
Have your say by Sunday 27 September 2020.
Address: Regulation amendments for Medical Gas Work consultation, Better Regulation Division, NSW Department of Customer Service, 4 Parramatta Square, Parramatta, NSW 2050