What’s this about?
The NSW Government is delivering major improvements to maritime infrastructure and facilities to help the boating and wider community safely access, use and navigate our rivers and coastal waters.
Transport for NSW is seeking your feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for a proposed upgraded boat maintenance facility to replace the existing deteriorating slipway at Southern Boat Harbour, at Terranora Terrace, Tweed Heads.
The NSW Government recognises the continued need to support the renewal and upgrade of boating infrastructure and facilities with local significance for recreational and commercial boating throughout the state.
The Tweed River is used by recreational boaters, commercial fishing vessels and maritime related tourism operators. The current deteriorating slipway at Southern Boat Harbour needs major maintenance or replacement. It is currently only able to service a small number and range of vessel due to its condition.
Benefits of the project
The project will deliver:
- Increased community access and use of the boat maintenance facility by upgrading the slip way to accommodate a 75-tonne boat travel lift.
- Increased safety for users of the boat maintenance facility by upgrading services and equipment to meet current codes.
- Increased protection and improvement of the Tweed marine environment by upgrading the drainage and wastewater treatment system at the boat maintenance facility.
- Improved facilities for boat users with new office, shower and toilet amenities and increased hard stand work and storage areas.
- Improved visual aesthetic of the area.
What are we proposing?
The proposed upgraded boat maintenance facility will be completed in two stages. The work for each stage includes:
Stage One – Upgraded boat maintenance facility
Stage Two – Improved amenities, storage and access (dependent on funding availability)
View a map that outlines the proposed upgrades and learn more about the proposed improvements for each stage.
Feedback received during the consultation will help Transport for NSW understand what is important to the community.
Address: Tweed Heads Boat Maintenance Facility Project, Transport for NSW, Maritime Branch 33 James Craig Road, Rozelle NSW 2039