Far West LHD celebrates International Nurses Day
Far West Local Health District (FWLHD) is today celebrating International Nurses Day, recognising the excellent and diverse work nurses do every day in the many different settings and specialties across the District, including health services, primary health care, aged care and multipurpose settings.
On International Nurses Day, FWLHD acknowledges exceptional performance amongst its nursing and midwifery workforce by presenting six individual and one team award at the District’s 2023 Excellence in Nursing and Midwifery awards.
FWLHD Executive Director of Nursing & Midwifery/Director of Clinical Governance, Wendy Gleeson, congratulated the award winners and nominees and thanked all of the District’s nurses for their hard work and commitment to providing high quality healthcare.
“Recognising our nurses on this special day shines a spotlight on the very important role they play in all stages of a person’s life,” Ms Gleeson said.
“I’m very proud of our nurses who are highly skilled, committed, and continually working to improve health outcomes and health care experiences for everyone in the Far West Local Health District.
“Nursing is an incredibly rewarding career. The satisfaction gained from caring for and helping keep our local community members safe and healthy is second to none and our nurses are excellent role models for members of the community who may consider nursing as a career choice.”
The Award recipients for 2023 are:
- Nurse of the Year (Assistant in Nursing/Registered Nurse/Enrolled Nurse) – Sharon DeFranceschi.
- Midwife of the Year (Registered Midwife/Assistant in Midwifery) – Chelsea Anderson, as announced on International day of the Midwife, 5 May 2023.
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Registered Nurse/Midwife/ Assistant in Nursing /Enrolled Nurse – Babette Cruickshank.
- New to Practice Nurse/Midwife of the Year – Chloe Deighton.
- Team of the Year Award (Nursing and/or Midwifery Team) – Sub Acute Rehabilitation Team (SARU).
- Judith Meppem Lifetime Achievement Award – Roberta McPherson.
- Leadership Award – Elizabeth Mackie.
- International Nurses Day Award Winners (from left) Elaine Fotheringham and Glenys Dayman (representing SARU), Sharon DeFranceschi and Elizabeth Mackie. Absent: Babette Cruickshank.
- International Nurses Day cutting the celebratory cake (from left) Wendy Gleeson, Elizabeth Mackie, Sharon DeFranceschi and Elaine Fotheringham.
- International Nurses Day Award winner at Wentworth Health Service, Roberta McPherson (LEFT) and International Nurses Day Award winner at Wilcannia MPS, Chloe Deighton.
- Midwife of the Year, Chelsea Anderson.
The recipients of the District’s 2023 Excellence in Nursing and Midwifery awards were selected from nominations submitted by their peers and colleagues across the Far West LHD.
Each award winner will be nominated in the NSW Health Excellence in Nursing and Midwifery Awards 2023, which will be announced in Sydney later this year.