Renting a property in NSW
Find somewhere to rent, learn your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and get help with costs.
This is a guide for people in NSW who are looking to rent a property, currently renting a property, or moving out of a property.
Deciding where to rent a home is an important decision. Before you start looking at properties, it can help to make a budget, decide what type of property you want and decide who you’ll be living with.
Once you are clear on what you want, it’s time to find a place to live. This will involve looking for properties that match your needs, inspecting the properties in person and applying for the properties you like.
When you start a lease, you’ll usually need to sign a lease, pay a bond and complete the condition report.
Other information you may need when renting a property can include:
- how to get financial help, if eligible
- what to do if you want to make changes to the property or request a repair
- what to do when moving out of a rental property, including giving the proper notice and getting your bond back
- how to get help with rental disputes
- whether you’re eligible for low cost housing.