Inclosed Lands Act review
What's this about?
A review of the Act is required to determine whether its policy objectives remain valid and if its terms remain appropriate for securing these objectives.
The Act amended the:
- Inclosed Lands Protection Act 1901 to introduce the new offence of aggravated unlawful entry on inclosed lands (section 4B)
- Crimes Act 1900 to clarify what is captured by the offence of interfering with a mine (section 201)
- Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act 2002 to give police expanded search and seizure powers in relation to lock on devices (section 45A – 45C).
The policy objectives of the Act include:
- clarifying the laws in relation to unlawful interference with mining and other business or undertakings
- addressing risks to businesses, protestors and the public posed by unsafe protest activities
- balancing the right to protest with the need to protect the safety of others and the conduct of lawful business activities.
The Department of Communities and Justice welcomes input from interested individuals and organisations.
Have your say
There are two ways you can provide your feedback:
- Email: [email protected]
- Mail: Inclosed Lands Review
Law Enforcement & Crime Policy
Policy, Reform and Legislation Branch
NSW Department of Communities and Justice
GPO Box 31
Sydney NSW 2001
Have your say by 1 March 2020.