New Building Certifiers Regulations
What's this about?
The NSW Government is continuing to progress reforms to the building and construction industry to strengthen certification in NSW.
A new Building and Development Certifiers Regulation 2019 must be introduced to bring the Building and Development Certifiers Act 2018 into force. This Act will strengthen and simplify the building and certification system in NSW.
The proposed regulations will also:
- detail and streamline the different classes of registration for certification work
- prescribe the qualifications, skills and experience required to be granted and maintain registration
- improve the independence of certifiers and provide certainty around when a conflict of interest arises
- clarify the roles and responsibilities of certifiers with a Code of Conduct setting out professional standards
- provide greater protections for consumers by strengthening contract requirements for certification work
- establish a new accreditation authority framework to formalise the regulation of regulated work
- strengthen compliance and enforcement through penalty notice offences
- apply the Consumer Price Index to fees consistent with standard Fair Trading practice.
Have your say
Have your say online by 28 October 2019.