Retirement village rules of conduct
Retirement Villages Amendment Regulation 2019
What's this about?
The Rules of Conduct for Operators of Retirement Villages set a minimum standard of behaviour for retirement village operators.
The rules will provide the retirement village industry with a clear foundation of practices and processes for the effective functioning of a village.
The Rules of Conduct include:
- mandating higher standards of customer service to ensure residents and prospective residents are treated with respect, dignity and fairness
- promoting fair, honest, transparent and ethical practices for the marketing, promotion and transfer of residential premises in retirement villages
- creating a framework for retirement village operators for the avoidance, disclosure and management of conflicts of interest
- establishing minimum standards for the resolution of disputes and handling of complaints in a retirement village and appropriate escalation pathways for residents and the operator
- requiring minimum training and competency standards for retirement village operators and members of staff, including the effective oversight and supervision of members of staff.
The rules have been developed in consultation with key stakeholders and will be mandatory. Operators who don't comply with the rules will be penalised.
Have your say
There are three ways you can submit your feedback:
- Online: consultation form
- Email: [email protected]
- Mail: Retirement Village Rules of Conduct Review
Regulatory Policy, Better Regulation Division
Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
2-24 Rawson Place
Haymarket NSW 2000
Have your say by Friday, 7 June 2019.