NSW Gas Plan
In developing the Gas Plan, the Government is acting upon the independent advice of the NSW Chief Scientist and Engineer, Professor Mary O’Kane, as set out in the Final Report of the Independent Review of Coal Seam Gas Activities in NSW.
This report represents 19 months of work reviewing the coal seam gas industry. The final conclusion of this work is that the risks of gas development can be effectively managed with the right regulation, engineering solutions, and ongoing monitoring and research.
The Plan accepts all Professor O'Kane's recommendations.
The Gas Plan resets the approach to gas development in NSW.
Under the NSW Gas Plan, the Government will:
- make better science and information available to decision-makers and the community
- yake a more strategic approach to issuing petroleum exploration titles
- introduce strong and certain regulation with a lead regulator responsible for compliance and enforcement of conditions of approval for gas activities in NSW
- share the benefits of gas development with landholders and local communities
- secure gas supplies by exploring all supply options.
Download and read: