Chilli, lime and black pepper roast chicken
- 2kg whole free range chicken
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp chilli infused oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Brine the whole chicken in a sealed container for several hours or overnight. This is optional – to create a light brining mixture add 1 tablespoon of sea salt for every 1 litre of water. Do not season the chicken with salt if you brined in the first step.
3. Cover the chicken in 3 tablespoons of a good quality Australian chili infused olive oil then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Drain the chicken, then place on a baking tray and put a quartered lime in the cavity of the chicken.
5. Bake the chicken in a moderate oven for 75 minutes and use a thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked. When done, cover and rest the chicken for 10 minutes before carving.
6. Serve with seasonal vegetables of your choice.
This recipe serves 4.