Malted black garlic ice-cream
- 4 cups (400ml) cream
- 12 large egg yolks
- 2 cups (200ml) milk
- 1 cup (110g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (35ml) malt extract
- 6 cloves Garlicious® Grown caramelised black garlic cloves, peeled
1. In a large heavy-base pot, add the cream and milk and simmer over a low heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well combined. Remove milk and cream from the heat and slowly pour into the yolk and sugar mixture, stirring continuously.
3. While continuing to stir, add the malt extract and caramelised black garlic cloves, this will now form your ice-cream base or anglaise.
4. Pour the anglaise back into the large heavy base pot and return to a medium-low heat, continuing to stir with a spatula or wooden spoon. The anglaise will start to thicken (approximately 4-5 minutes) and will be ready when it coats the back of the spatula or spoon. The caramelised black garlic cloves will by now have infused with the anglaise and dissolved.
5. Once thickened, remove the pot from the heat and strain the anglaise through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
6. Chill the anglaise in a refrigerator for approximately 2 hours, then transfer to an ice-cream churning machine, referring to your machine’s instructions to complete the ice-cream process. Alternatively, remove from freezer after 2 hours and break up mixture with fork then whisk to make the consistency smooth. Return ice-cream to the freezer and repeat process every hour until the ice-cream has a smooth consistency.
Makes approximately 2 litres of ice-cream.