Better connectivity for regional NSW
The Regional Digital Connectivity program will ensure families and businesses across regional NSW have better access to enjoy mobile, internet and digital services.
This major turning point for connectivity confirms the NSW Government’s commitment to deliver transformative infrastructure under the $4.2 billion Snowy Hydro Legacy Fund.
The program is focused on the following three priority areas.
- To eliminate mobile black spots where people live and work.
- Investigate new and emerging technologies to future-proof mobile coverage in regional NSW.
Internet and data
- Bring metro-level data speeds and connectivity to regional NSW.
- Invest in ‘backbone’ digital infrastructure including data hubs to support regional communities and businesses.
Farm and water
- Increase coverage of the connectivity needed for agribusinesses to use agricultural technologies (ag tech).
- Support ag tech uptake to improve competitiveness, productivity and water management.
The NSW Government is currently conducting a range of scoping studies with investigations under way in Dubbo and Wagga Wagga as potential locations for regional data hubs to increase the capacity, speed and accessibility for regional internet services.
The $400 million Regional Digital Connectivity program is in addition to the existing Connecting Country Communities Fund that has helped deliver over 167 new mobile towers in NSW since 2015.
Community consultation and survey
To ensure that regional communities have a voice, a series of face-to-face community consultation events were held in 20 locations across regional NSW, to better understand the different connectivity issues experienced.
In conjunction with the community consultation, a comprehensive survey was open to all residents and visitors to regional NSW. The survey closed on 31 December 2019.
The feedback received from the survey and community consultation events will help deliver a solution that will have a lasting impact for regional NSW.
The 20 communities visited were as follows:
- Cullen Bullen
- Grong Grong
Updates on the status of the program to follow. For more information on the program, please contact: [email protected]