Pre-purchase inspection reports

In addition to inspecting a home yourself, you can also have building, pest or strata inspection reports done through licensed professionals.

You can organise these inspections yourself or if you're using a conveyancer, they can do it for you. 

When you ask for a contract of sale, the agent must inform you about previous property inspection reports that have been commissioned.

The aim of getting these reports is to identify any significant building defects inside or outside a building, within the roof and underfloor space. 

Consider using a third-party professional, such as a licensed builder, surveyor or an architect, rather than one suggested or provided by the seller, so you know you’re getting independent advice. 

A professional person will also ensure that the format and content of the report complies with the relevant Australian Standard.