Government payments

There a several government payments available for families who have children in high school.

Eligibility will depend on the type of payment and your personal circumstances.

    Child Care Subsidy

    You may be able to get help with the cost of before and after school care, including vacation care, as part of the Child Care Subsidy if your child is:

    • 13 or under, or
    • 14 to 18 with disability

    If you get the Child Care Subsidy and meet certain criteria, you may also be able to get the Additional Child Care Subsidy.

      Living Away from Home Allowance

      The Living Away from Home Allowance is a payment for eligible children in NSW who have to board away from home to access a high school education.

      Your eligibility depends on several factors, including:

      • family income
      • distance from high school
      • further criteria, such as a medical condition

      Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

      The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who cannot go to a local state school because of:

      • geographical isolation
      • disability
      • special needs