Financial support

There are several payments that you may be able to get to help with the schooling costs of a child with disability or additional needs. 

Your eligibility will depend on the type of payment and your personal circumstances.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

Children with disability or additional learning needs have the same rights to education as all other children.

The NDIS can fund reasonable and necessary costs that enables a child with a disability to go to school, including:

  • support with daily living activities at school like eating and getting around
  • specialised training of teachers
  • non-educational therapies delivered during school time

Child Care Subsidy

You may be able to get help with the cost of before and after school care, including vacation care, as part of the Child Care Subsidy if your child is:

  • 13 or under, or
  • 14 to 18 with disability

If you get the Child Care Subsidy and meet certain criteria, you may also be able to get the Additional Child Care Subsidy.

    Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

    The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who cannot go to a local state school because of:

    • geographical isolation
    • disability
    • special needs

    Assisted School Travel Program

    Families who have a child with disability may be eligible for help through the Assisted School Travel Program.

    The program offers free specialised transport to and from school where families cannot provide or arrange transport either fully or in part.