Housing assistance

You can get Rent Assistance if you pay rent and get certain income support payments, including:

  • Parenting Payment
  • more than the base rate of the Family Tax Benefit Part A, or
  • Carer Payment

You don’t need to submit a claim. You’ll automatically be assessed when you claim an eligible payment.

There are also several options for those on a low income who are looking to rent. This includes:

  • social housing
  • affordable housing, and
  • low cost and culturally appropriate housing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

There can be long waiting lists, so it's important to apply as early as possible.