Get a Companion Card
Find out how you can get a Companion Card and download the application form.
How to apply
Check your eligibility
To be eligible for a NSW Companion Card:
- you must be an Australian citizen or resident, and live in NSW; and
- you must be a person with a significant and permanent disability; and
- you must be unable to participate at most community venues and activities without attendant care support; and
- your need for this level of attendant care will be lifelong.
The following people are NOT eligible for a NSW Companion Card:
- people with episodic or temporary disabilities
- people who only need social or emotional support
- people who only require ambulatory supervision
Note: Eligibility for NDIS does not mean you’ll meet the NSW Companion Card criteria.
Get your supporting documents ready and verified
Applicants must compete an application form that includes:
- information about their disability and need for lifelong attendant care support
- two colour passport photographs
- verification of the application and photographs by a healthcare professional or residential home manager
Submit your application
Complete your application and submit it via email or post, together with your signed photos and any supporting documents.
Note: Original applications and photographs will not be returned. Incomplete applications (including those without signature, signed photographs or poor quality photographs) cannot be processed.
Apply for the Companion Card
Download and fill out a hard copy of the application form below and send it to us with supporting documentation.
Send by email
Send by post
Locked Bag 5000
Parramatta NSW 2124
After you submit your application
Review of your application
NSW Companion Card will consider all the information provided with the application when deciding eligibility for a Companion Card. If further information is required, NSW Companion Card will contact the health professional or service provider that signed the application form and/or the applicant.
Your application will be processed within 20 working days.
If your application is approved
If your application is approved you’ll receive a letter with your NSW Companion Card.
If your application is declined
If your application is declined, you’ll be notified by email or a letter. If you would like to discuss this decision you can call NSW Companion Card on 1800 893 044 or email Applications.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re still not satisfied with the outcome of your application you can request a formal review in writing.