City of Sydney must act on Martin Place tent camp
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Minister for Family and Community Services Pru Goward have called on the City of Sydney to urgently act on the issue of the tent camp at Martin Place at their council meeting on Monday night.
“It has become increasingly clear that Clover Moore has no interest in resolving this issue and serving her ratepayers, but would rather play political games,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We call on councillors of the City of Sydney to do their jobs and move against this blatant act of politicking at their council meeting on Monday night.
“If they don’t act, the NSW Government will take appropriate action to resolve this issue for the homeless people and the people of Sydney.
“The NSW Government should not be required to do the job of council, but in extreme circumstances where the Lord Mayor will not do what is required and uses public property and people’s lives to make a statement, we may be forced to do so.
“It is disappointing that vulnerable people are being exploited by a few people who are engaged in a political protest. The NSW Government is exploring all options available to it to resolve this issue."
Ms Goward said Family and Community Services staff had been on site in Martin Place to work with the community 44 times and permanently housed 70 people.
“We will continue to focus on the genuine need of homeless people and will leave the pathetic political point scoring to the Lord Mayor,” Ms Goward said.
“Our first priority is public safety and security. It is not acceptable to have people living in tents in the busy thoroughfare of Martin Place.
“It is not safe for the people living there and it is not safe for the public. This is obvious to everyone except, it seems, the Lord Mayor.”