Funding boost for regional mobile coverage
The NSW Government will invest $30 million to help telecommunications providers deliver shared mobile phone infrastructure upgrades to improve regional mobile coverage.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW Paul Toole said the funding was part of the NSW Government’s Active Sharing Partnership and would provide more choice and better mobile service to regional NSW.
“We all know how frustrating it can be losing mobile coverage as we travel through a black spot. The NSW Government is leading the way by investing in solutions to ensure our communities get the connectivity they need and deserve,” Mr Toole said.
“Sharing network and mobile infrastructure makes sense, especially in a country of our size, and I’m proud NSW has become the first jurisdiction in Australia to work with the industry to fund collaborative projects that will provide better outcomes for locals.”
Optus, Telstra, TPG Telecom, BAI Communications, Field Solutions Group, Infrastructure Logic, NEC and Pivotel Mobile all successfully completed the design phase of the NSW Government’s Mobile Active Sharing Partnership, announced earlier this year.
Mr Toole said these telecommunications providers were now invited to submit funding applications for network sharing projects.
“Projects that deliver coverage in areas with no or poor coverage, including small towns, transport corridors and tourism sites will be prioritised for funding to ensure more people can enjoy living, working and travelling in regional NSW,” Mr Toole said.
Full details of the grant funding opportunity are available on the NSW Government’s grants and funding finder website at www.nsw.gov.au/activesharingpartnership.
Applications close 5.00pm on Monday 14 November 2022.
The Active Sharing Partnership program is a key part of the $300 million Mobile Coverage project, under the Regional Digital Connectivity program. For more information on the Regional Digital Connectivity program, visit: www.nsw.gov.au/connectregionalnsw.