Licence fees waived for flood impacted communities
The NSW Government is waiving fees for the costs of replacing up to 35 different types of SafeWork and Fair Trading licenses for flood affected communities.
Deputy Premier and Minister Responsible for Disaster Recovery John Barilaro and Minister for Better Regulation Kevin Anderson today announced tens of thousands of NSW residents impacted by the devastating recent floods will benefit from the waivers.
“Businesses in NSW have been suffering off the back of COVID restrictions and many of those hit by floods were still recovering from the devastating 2019-20 bushfires ,” Mr Barilaro said.
“Obtaining licences can be an expensive process so we are helping businesses open their doors as soon as possible and get the money flowing through local economies.
“The NSW Nationals are building a safer and stronger NSW by helping flood-affected communities get back on their feet as quickly as possible through these cost of living measures.”
Mr Anderson warned against using any unlicensed tradespeople offering cheap, quick, cash-only repairs to conduct any building work.
“Only experienced professionals know how to navigate the many possible hazards caused by flooding, so it’s essential all work is carried out by licensed tradies,” Mr Anderson said.
“If you are looking at cleaning up your own house or your workplace, you need to be thinking about safety risks due to slip hazards, and chemicals, asbestos, or biological hazards and make sure you are wearing the proper personal protective equipment.”
In NSW, tradespeople need a licence for any residential building work valued at more than $5,000, and all specialist work regardless of the value.
“We’ve made it easy to know whether someone is qualified or not by developing an online licence check tool, so be vigilant, verify their licence, ask for references and request a written contract for any work over $5,000,” Mr Anderson said.
For more information on hazards around your property following storms and floods, read SafeWork NSW’s fact sheet.
Licences which will have waived replacement fees:
- Home Building - Contractor Licences
- Home Building - Qualified Supervisor Certificates
- Home Building - Tradesperson Certificates
- Motor Vehicle Tradesperson Certificates
- Motor Vehicle Repairer Licences
- Motor Dealer Licence
- Tattooist Licence
- Tattoo Parlour Operator Licence
- Tow truck Driver Certificate
- Tow truck Operator Licence - including lost/replacement of Tow truck number plates
- Pawnbrokers and Second Hand Dealers
- Paintball Marker Permit
- Asbestos Assessor
- Asbestos Removal – Class A
- Asbestos Removal – Class B
- Blasting User
- Demolition DE1
- Demolition DE2
- General Induction Training
- High Risk Work
- Import/Export Explosives/Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSDS)
- Manufacture Explosives
- Plant design - original or alteration
- Plant item
- Plant Amusement item registration
- Security clearance
- Fireworks single use/event
- Use Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSDS)
- Store explosives/Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSDS)
- Supply explosives/Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSDS)
- Transport explosives by vehicle
- Transport explosives by vessel
- Traffic Control Work Training
- Responsible Service of Alcohol
- Gaming Related Licences
- Liquor Licences