New board members strengthen NSW arts and cultural advisory team
Nineteen new leaders from the arts and cultural sector have been appointed to the NSW Government’s Artform Advisory Boards, adding fresh talent and perspectives to help shape the future of the State’s arts and cultural landscape.
Minister for the Arts Ben Franklin said the new board members encapsulate the expertise and diversity of the sector with new members representing education, government, and independent artists.
“I congratulate the new members on their appointment and acknowledge their invaluable expertise and passion. The members’ combined experience and drive will inject fresh energy to shape the future of NSW arts and culture,” Mr Franklin said.
The appointments bring the total number of board members to 97 across the 10 Artform Advisory Boards. More than half of all Artform Advisory Board Members are women, 15 per cent are Aboriginal, 14 per cent are from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and five per cent identify as living with a disability.
Almost 30 per cent of members across the Boards are from regional NSW and 10 per cent are from Western Sydney.
Mr Franklin said a key role of the Artform Advisory Boards is assessing funding applications and making recommendations for the 2022/2023 Arts and Cultural Funding Program, where a broad spectrum of perspectives is invaluable.
“Diversity and openness underpin the effectiveness of our Artform Advisory Boards and are important to the NSW Government. We are walking the walk on gender, diversity, equity and inclusion. By reflecting our State’s rich diversity, our members bring exciting ideas to the table, steering NSW’s arts and cultural sector into ambitious territory,” Mr Franklin said.
Find out more about the Artform Advisory Boards at Create NSW.
The new Board Members are:
Aboriginal Arts and Culture Board
- Beau James, Head of First Nations Programming, Sydney Opera House
- Nardi Simpson, Writer, musician, composer and educator
Classical Music, Opera and Choral
- Anita Bellman, Executive Director, Northern Rivers Conservatorium
- David Boyce, General Manager, Omega Ensemble
- Dr John Peterson, Composer
- Brett Weymark OAM, Artistic and Music Director, Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
- Morwenna Collett, Arts Consultant and Facilitator
- Kaleena Smith, First Nations Development Coordinator, MusicNSW
Dance and Physical Theatre
- Cadi McCarthy, Director and Founder, Catapult Dance
- Richard Cilli, Rehearsal Director, Sydney Dance Company
- Anni Davey OAM, Artistic Director, Flying Fruit Circus
- Christopher Hanley OAM, Founder, Byron Writer's Festival
- Bernadette Heard, Manager, National Music Teacher Mentoring Program, Australian Youth Orchestra.
- Distinguished Professor Larissa Behrendt, Director of Research, Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning UTS
- Nuala Furtado, General, Manager, 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art
- Josh Butt, Founder and Producer, Ampel
Museums and History
- Hayden Walsh, First Nations Advisor, Sydney Living Museums
- Paula Bray, Head of Digital Engagement and Insight, Australian National Maritime Museum
Theatre and Musical Theatre
- Daniel Graham, Theatre Director and Disability Advocate
View a full list of the 2022/23 Artform Advisory Board members and their biographies.