NSW welcomes return of aviation jobs
Premier Dominic Perrottet has welcomed news up to 11,000 Qantas and Jetstar workers will be reinstated nationwide as international travel prepares for take-off.
The Premier joined Prime Minister Scott Morrison at Sydney Domestic Airport this morning to welcome the announcement by Qantas CEO Alan Joyce after workers were stood down during the pandemic.
Mr Perrottet said the announcement means our international tourism industry is set to soar back to life.
“I’m thrilled for every single Qantas employee who is returning to work. What this means for them and their families can’t be underestimated,” Mr Perrottet said.
“I’d like to especially thank those airline workers who we worked on the frontline of our vaccine rollout in recent months.
“Today’s announcement means our tourism industry is roaring down the runway and is ready for take-off while the government’s Economic Recovery Strategy is taking effect.”
Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said the revival of international travel was sparked by the lifting of NSW quarantine restrictions.
The airline announced it will bring forward a number of international routes and expand its service to include a new direct route from Sydney to Delhi.
From November 1, and subject to Commonwealth border restrictions, fully-vaccinated travellers from overseas can enter New South Wales without having to quarantine.
Earlier this week, the NSW Government announced a $60 million Aviation Attraction Fund to incentivise international airlines to re-commence flights to Sydney.